Sunshine Rewards

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

10 Ways to Save Money - it is so EASY!!!

10 Ways to Save Money - they are so easy, you'll be saying "I can't believe I have been spending so much!"

1. Coupons are literally FREE MONEY!! Use grocery coupons!. It really isn't hard, especially if you have a goal in mind. When you get home, see what your coupon savings were and write yourself a check for that amount and deposit it into your savings account. Once you see your savings grow, your inclination to use coupons will grow! This is a great way to save if you can afford to do it this way, but in my case, I had to use coupons to get that free money so that it would add to my available cash so that I could get enough groceries for the week. If my coupons added up to $10, that meant I had $10 more to spend than the actual cash in my hand. If my budget was $100, and I had $10 in coupons, that meant I could buy $110 in groceries! Either way, it is a great way to save! Just think - if you save $10 a week, that's $520 a year!!!!

2. Once you have your goal set, and your coupons funding that goal, get involved with a coupon exchange! Friends, family, neighbors - just ask them if they want to trade with you or if they would just save the sunday newspaper coupons for you! You are only allowed one coupon per item, but if you have 10 coupons, you can buy 10 items! If they are on sale this week - all the more savings! 2 weeks from now when you need that item, you don't have to pay full price for it! You can also watch Ebay for coupons. Watch out though! Don't forget you have to pay shipping fees on your purchase. Make sure you add your purchase price AND the shipping charges to see if it is a bargain or a rip-off!

2. Set aside a day when you will spend NO MONEY! Whether it be once a week or once a month - it is saving you some to add to your goal. Give it a cute name like "One Step Closer to my Vacation Day" so that you have something to hold on to when you say no to spending. Make it your reason! Brown bag your lunch to work. Don't buy your cup of flavored coffee on this day. Eat left overs for dinner. Drink a large glass of water instead of getting a soda out of the vending machine. Or bring a soda from home! Depending on what you do, there could be alot of savings in just one day!

3. When you see things on sale like pens, tablets, note cards, or other things that you use all the time, buy several of them while they are on sale. Back-to-school times are the best times to buy this kind of stuff.

4. Yard Sales!!! They aren't just junk! Trust me! You never know what you will find! I just went to one and bought 10 of those little Post-it sticky pads,brand new, still in wrapper - 10¢ each! And they are like $5 for 5 pads at the office supply store! I also bought sealed packs of lined, 3x5 index cards, some white, some colored - 10¢ each! And those run about $3 for 100. These can be used for flash cards for the kids, note cards, message paper, recipe cards, chore or job cards - the possibilities are endless! Keep some in your car's glove box. Throw some in your purse. The kids can keep some in their notebooks - and on the list can go!

5. When you eat out - check out the appetizer menu. Those tend to be good size portions and the price is reasonable. Remember, go out to eat but only eat till you are full. It's no fun and you can feel guilty if you gourge yourself at your meal and then go home and you feel miserable cause you ate to much. Or if you do get a meal, eat only half of it at and take the rest home for your next meal.

6. Don't subscribe to magazines - go to the library and check them out! But if you have to subscribe, surf the internet for bargains! Or ask for the subscription as a gift at christmas time or birthday. Or ask your friends what magazines they have and do a "magazine swap" the last day of the month!

7. You young kids might not know this, but we have this thing called U.S. Postal Service - it is where you write, (with a pen), a letter (on a few pieces of paper) to a friend or loved-one and these guys in blue deliver it to your friend for you!! Yes, write a letter and mail it!! Instead of paying for a long distance call, do a 39-center! You have "visited" with your friend, and just think how excited and surprised they will be when they get your letter! What a noval idea!

8. When particular foods are on sale, buy in bulk and then freeze in meal-size portions! For instance, when that ground round goes on sale for $1.99 a pound, buy 10 pounds. Once home, seperate it into quart size freezer bags - about a pound each. This way, the package takes up less space in your freezer, it is a great way to stack the packages so they don't fall out when you open the door and they thaw very quickly. (A thin slab will thaw much faster than a thick ball) Now you are set for 10 meals! Now that is for a family of 4 - okay I used about 1 1/2 pounds per meal for my family of four but I had a growing son and a husband working in construction! But you get the point! This is also great for boneless,skinless chicken breat - buy them on sale and freeze enough for a meal. Watch for your favorite meat!

9. You have heard "make a menu and stick to it" to save money. Well, that never worked for me. What if something is on sale but not on my menu for that week? Do I pull a "stupid" and pass it by because it is not on my menu this week? For heaven sake, no! It works so much better and is so much cheaper to buy what is on sale, and then go home and make your menu based on what you had just bought.

10. Make "crowd-pleaser" size meals, and FREEZE the rest! I would do some cooking on the weekends and make a HUGe pot of chili, spaghetti sauce, or soups. Then freeze in meal size portions. That makes for quick and easy preperation after a long day at work!

The thing you have to remember is that it is not a complicated or confusing as it sounds! You just have to pick an issue and do it. Once that one is in place and you have it running well, pick another one and on down the line. Before you know it, your savings will accumulate and you biggest decision will be "what do I get to spend it on?"

Leave a comment! Click "comment" below! Thanks!

To make money, save money or just stretch what you have-continue reading articles for more tips, ideas and ways to do all 3!

2 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I just have to say that I LOVE your blog. I have been telling people that they could start a business at home just by trading coupons or starting a coupon club of some sort.

I clip coupons myself and I have these "lottery ticket" coupons that I'm going to use - hey - who knows.........I think your blog convinced me to go ahead and use them.

I like your idea of buying what's on sale as opposed to what you have scheduled on your menu (and grocery list). Even though things were on sale I would rarely stray from my grocery list. I'm going to try your suggestion.

I also do the practice of making big pots of stew and soups and then freezing half to eat at a later time. Fall is right on our heels and that's the best time to sit down and enjoy a nice stew or soup!

Love your blog!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Frugal Money Saving Ideas said...

Rose: I'm telling you- these work! I had to figure things out just to make ends meet! But now, with the kids gone, I still struggle but sometimes I can put the "saved" money into savings. I am glad I could boost you to stretch your dollars. Use those coupons! Organize your coupons and then make 2 grocery runs and you will see much you save and the only promotion you will need is seeing those ends meet better or that savings account increase. Its all a matter of commitment! Good for you! Keep me posted on your sucess!

I'm with you on the fall thing. Can't wait to make my first pot of Carol Shelby's Chili!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home